14 March 2011

Prigione Folsom

This is new to me.

This is in response to a challenge issued to me by my friend Pam Elmore.  This is the first time I've ever tried translating a song into another language, and it was definitely a challenge, but I had a lot of fun.  It's more difficult to do than you might think; to be effective, the new lyrics have to fit the meter and the rhyme scheme and still convey the ideas and feelings of the original.  A word-for-word translation is impossible, because apparently the English language values brevity above all else.  What may take us five syllables to say may take the Italians ten or more.

Anyway, let me know what you think.  Any feedback is appreciated.  And hey, if you speak Italian, feel free to give me some grammatical pointers.  Let me rephrase that: If you speak Italian, please give me all of your grammatical insights.

6 comments:

  1. wow wow wow.... great song.... great singer - you! Good job, (i think).... keep up your creative genius! Thnx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAVE! That is fantastic, brother! So cool. I wish I was as cool as you, brother. God bless you, man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say? Good gene pool. ;) No - really you have been given a gift.

    Love it, love it! Wish I could give insight on the translation. Have you started on song #2 yet? Are you taking requests?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, you're simply awesome.
    And I DO speak Italian! :)

    Any chance you want to help us translate some worship songs?

    ReplyDelete